Thursday, March 14, 2013

Lemon Meringue Pie ~ Gluten Free


Happy Pie Day!!!!  In honor of Pie Day, I made my fiance's favorite pie/dessert/dinner/snack/etc.  If my fiance could eat Lemon Meringue Pie all day - he would... haha.

I don't usually make it GF - as flakey, buttery, yummy crust is the best.  But... we are having guests over tonight who are GF.  So, I thought I would try out something new.  I made my own GF crust and, to be honest, it was awful...  So, the calories listed below are just for the inside.  Next time, I will just buy a GF crust from Trader Joe's or something...

Okay.  I know, I know - this is NOT slender.  But boys tend to eat big pieces and girls when in public tend to eat small pieces.  So ladies, slice off a piece for your hard workin' boy at 188 calories, and take a half piece for yourself, at 94 calories (plus whatever your crusts calorie count is).  

That's not toooo bad.  Dessert is dessert - right?!




Yields 8 gigantic servings – or 16 normal size

Nutrition Information:  188 calories, 35g carbs, 4g fat, 5g protein, 159mg Cholesterol, 73mg Sodium, 27g sugar, 0g fiber


Ingredients:

  • 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (or regular sugar)
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Almond Milk (or regular)
  • 1 ½ cups lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon zest
  • 6 large eggs (divided)
  • 6 tablespoons corn starch
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon crème of tartar 

Directions: 

  1. In a saucepan, combine lemon juice, egg yolks, 1 cup almond milk, and sugar.  Bring to a simmer – stirring constantly.
  2. Once simmering, add cornstarch.  Do this slowly as you may not need the entire amount of cornstarch.
  3. Keep stirring until thick.  Pour in baked pie shell.
  4. Whip egg whites, cream of tartar, 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, and vanilla until peaks form.  Pour on top of pie.
  5. Bake until meringue tips are golden – about 18 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment