Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Red Quinoa Porridge


Yields 1 serving

Nutrition Information:  101 calories, 12g carbs, 5g fat, 3g protein, 0mg Cholesterol, 10mg Sodium, 0g sugar, 3g fiber


Ooops!  I've had this post for over two months and totally forgot to post it - haha! I swear I am not a hoarder.


My close friends know that I LOVE LOVE LOVE porridge and yes, it might be an addiction.  It's warming, nutritious, delicious, filling (in a good way).  The other day, a friend of mine said, "I like food that makes me feel good".  At first, most people would say, "duh".  But - think about it...  I LOVE ice cream and frosting and burritos and and and well cabbage chocolate, but I never feel good after eating it.  I feel yucky.  Those foods don't give me energy, which is the main purpose of food - is it not...?

Haha - sorry for the rant.  Anyways, I hope you enjoy this yummy meal too!  I like to eat it for lunch, but breakfast would work too :).  Also, depending on the spices and ingredients you add - you could quickly turn this into a savory dish.  Cumin, chicken, and green beans...?  Have fun my lovelies!

Ingredients:

  • 1 teaspoon Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds
  • ½ teaspoon Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
  • ¼ teaspoon Bob’s Red Mill Flax Seed
  • 2 tablespoons Raw Red Quinoa
  • 1 cup water
  • Cinnamon
  • Almond and/or vanilla extract 
  • (pictured with 1/4 cup Fage 0% yogurt - add 33 calories)

Directions:

  1. Soak all ingredients overnight (if you can).  If you can’t, that’s fine – you will just need to cook it longer.
  2. In a pot, bring water up to a boil.  Turn stove down and let ingredients simmer until your porridge has reached your desired consistency.  I like mine wetter than traditional quinoa.
  3. Add fruit, yogurt, or whatever goodies you enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment