Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sexy Mocha Blast Smoothie

Want a sexy breakfast AND body?  Don't we all - haha.  Well, if you're following Healthy is the new skinny, then you know that a healthy mind and body is a sexy mind and body.


Ok, I know... it looks gross - but it's yummy!

I'm trying not to eat refined sugar for a week... yes... 1 week - as in 7 days.  And it's so hard!  I decided to try after skyping with my best girlfriend who lives in Australia.  I was baking cookies and she was eating a spinach omelet.  She said that she was giving up sugar, coffee, alcohol, and dairy for 10 days - ew.  And then there I was... licking the bowl.  Ok - quick back story... EVERY Friday night in college, this gf would come over and we would bake cookies, lick the bowl, eat our weight in cookie dough, and watch Say Yes to the Dress.  Yeah, that is exactly how I spent my Friday nights in college - AWESOME!


Us, at my wedding this November.  Love you Squirr-al!

Anyways, after 3 days of no refined sugar - I AM DYING.  Kidding... it's not bad.  If I need sweets - I eat barefruit Apple Chips.  But they still have a ton of sugar (yes, fructose is in fact sugar).  So, I'm trying not to eat too much of those either.  

I was feeling a bit frisky this morning and decided to mix up something sexy - and oh is it sexy and yummy!  Try this chocolatey mocha-y blast to put some pep in your step.  Seriously, my favorite thing is drinking a smaller cup right when I make it and saving the rest for post workout.  I like the feeling of having TWO breakfasts without the guilt.  Enjoy!


Yields roughly 1 large serving – or 1 medium for breakfast and 1 medium for mid-morning snack. 


Nutrition Information:  205 calories, 36g carbs, 1g fat, 19g protein, 11mg Cholesterol, 156mg Sodium, 17g sugar, 6g fiber


Ingredients:

  • 1 medium banana (frozen)
  • 2 cups raw spinach
  • 1 tablespoon Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (Hershey’s makes a good one)
  • ½ scoop (or 1 ½ tablespoons) protein powder (I use Dream Protein Powder – Vanilla)
  • ¼ cup Fage 0% Non Fat Greek Strained Yogurt
  • 1 small handful chopped Italian Parsley
  • 1 tablespoon instant coffee
  • vanilla extract
  • Cinnamon to taste
  • Water to desired consistency
  • A few ice cubes


Directions:


Throw all ingredients into a blender and blend.  Continue to add water until you reach desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment