Friday, January 31, 2014

Banana Cornbread with Greek Yogurt

 I was asked to bring cornbread to a dinner party last week.  After looking through numerous recipes I finally decided to just ask my mom for her favorite recipe.  It turned out great!!!  I replaced half the honey with molasses and infused them both with jalapenos... Mmmmmm - spicy sweet goodness....

Now I am left with a huge box of cornmeal.  What to do?  Well, I got my baking juices going yesterday.  We had a bunch of very ripe bananas, so I decided to try adding cornmeal to my favorite banana bread recipe - and YUM!

This bread is not as "fluffy" as some banana bread, but it has a great flavor and almost "old-world" texture.  I hope you enjoy it!  Scotty took a loaf to work this morning.  Let's see how the guys at his office like it - that's the real test - right?!

Oh, btw - I decided to use mini mini loaf pans.  This way, I can either freeze some of the loaves or pass them around to our favorite neighbors.  Anddd... how often can you eat half a loaf of bread for 100 calories?!?!  Haha :)



Yields roughly 20 servings – about 10 mini loaves (2 servings each)
 

Nutrition Information:  109 calories, 19g carbs, 3g fat, 2g protein, 27mg Cholesterol, 27mg Sodium, 10g sugar, 1g fiber


Ingredients:

  • 3 medium bananas (7-8”)
  • ¾ cup whole-grain cornmeal
  • 1 cup unbleached flour
  • ¾ cup white sugar
  • 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
  • 1/3 cup Fage 0% Non Fat Greek Yogurt
  • 2 whole eggs
  • ¾ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • vanilla extract to taste
  • cinnamon to taste

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Whip sugar and butter together then add eggs.
  3. Add banana, cinnamon, yogurt, and vanilla.
  4. Add flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda.
  5. Mix until just combined – do NOT over mix.
  6. Bake for about 20 minutes or until fragrant and toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool before cutting.


No comments:

Post a Comment